Date
Tuesday, September 10, 2024
Time
8:45 AM - 9:15 AM
Location Name
M109/110
Name
Hybrid Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) Systems: Drivers for Success
Track
Metering-Billing
Description

Many water utilities are making the shift towards Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) technology to improve meter reading and maintenance efficiency. There are many ways to design and implement an AMI network, including 1) fixed network: utility & contractor install data collectors throughout the service territory to collect meter reads, 2) cellular network: meter reads are collected by communicating with existing cellular providers, or 3) hybrid: some combination of both a fixed network and cellular design to provide coverage for the entire service area. This presentation will focus on the benefits and constraints of a hybrid AMI network model. Before choosing to partner with an AMI Vendor that offers a hybrid network system, you should be aware of the pros and cons and unique problems that a hybrid AMI system produces. Louisville Water has undergone a transition to AMI and has been deploying meters and meter interface units (MIUs) in its system of approximately 300,000 connections in the Metro Louisville area over the last 4 years. Louisville Water is utilizing a hybrid AMI network with approximately 60% of the system communicating via fixed network, and the remaining approximately 40% of the system communicating via cellular network to provide reading data. The Louisville Water project will be used to exemplify advantages and challenges to this type of network arrangement. We will provide specific use cases for attendees to hear best practices for deployment and maintenance of a hybrid AMI system.